Monday, February 14, 2011

Impressions of a Volunteer

Today, we made quite the interesting journey to Limberlost.

We met some interact supporters while waiting at the bus stop for the 9 Whitehills to arrive.

I learned to trust my partner's judgement when it comes to navigation.

We learned the value of choosing the road not taken.

We learned to climb every mountain in our way, and jump off every cliff (with a parachute).

But most importantly, we learned to value all that we have, and hold it dear forever.

Looking into the eyes of that little girl, knowing the hardships she had faced, and the further hardships that await her -- I felt my heart catch. I knew there was nothing I could say, nothing I could do that would reduce her suffering, or convey my most sincere sadness at her pain. For a moment, the unwritten pain on her face, in her eyes, was my pain.

I watched the excitement in her eyes as I spun her in a circle. I smiled at the look of concentration on her face as she deftly fitted each piece of the jigsaw puzzle. I felt the pang of guilt at her hopeful eyes when she asked us to stay.

We are who we are; we do not have a choice in how or where we enter this world. Nor how we are treated once we enter it. But we can choose how we act. We can choose to show compassion. We can choose to give hope. We can choose to bring change.

This is our journey,

Gordon, Sophia, Derek


No comments:

Post a Comment